Sunday, September 27, 2009

Did you hear? Do you metal detect?

Do you have a metal detector? Have you used it? Did you find anything exciting and/or valuable? Yes, I have one (it was given to me). Yes, I have used mine several times. Valuable? Exciting? Well, if you call a quarter valuable and exciting, then, yes, I have found something valuable and exciting. I have found many pennies, more nails, and a few nickles and dimes, and even fewer quarters. The thrill of the hunt is what gets me out there again--preferably at a place where there happens to be a fishing spot close by so that my ever-so-patient husband can do something while I metal detect. I know...all of my dear, sweet friends in Britain already know about all of this and are probably tired of hearing about it, but I just found out about the Stafforshire treasure uncovered on a farm there last July by a man with a simple metal detector. What a find! If you'd like to read all about it the website to go to is The Staffordshire Hoard. I always thought it would be exciting to metal detect in Europe--all of that wonderful history over there; and this story is amazing. If you'd like a good read...or perhaps a little inspiration to get your own metal detector or actually USE the one you already have, this site would be a fun read. It has been to me!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Michele, I'd be happy to take a trip to Europe and metal detect with you. Can you just imagine what great things we would find. Oh my, just the thought of it is exciting. When do we leave?

xo Cathy

Laurie said...

I saw this one the news -- crazy! The thing that stood out to me is that they guy who bought the land had done so recently; can you imagine how the old owner felt when he heard about this?! We have a metal detector but no luck yet...not even to help find my husband's wedding ring, which he lost when we were landscaping our yard...

Pauline said...

It sure was a great find. I remember metal detectors being very popular in the 70s and early 80s but now.... :o)
This discovery might start a trend again.

Duchess of Tea said...

Interesting indeed, I will look into it. I remember seeing people with the detectors on the beach, are they the same kind?

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Decor To Adore said...

Can you imagine uncovering all that Anglo Saxon gold! What fun.
I imagine that there is muuch more treasure just waiting to be found.

the wild raspberry said...

i dream of finding something old and amazing in my yard...maybe some day!!
chasity